Global Director - Hydrogen,
Salah is an experienced industry leader with over two decades of experience. Currently serving as the Global Director of Hydrogen at Chart Industries, Salah holds the responsibility of managing the hydrogen business for both Chart Industries and Howden on a global scale. Throughout his career, Salah has been deeply involved in critical business areas related to the energy transition, focusing on green and blue hydrogen, water electrolysers, and ammonia and has been involved in pioneering some of the world's first projects in these areas.
Under Salah's expert guidance, Chart Industries' and Howden's advanced hydrogen solutions have been selected to power significant projects in the global energy transition. Notable achievements include the world's largest hydrogen refueling station, the world's first green steel plant, the world's first e-Fuels plant, Europe's largest green hydrogen project and the world's first container vessel running on carbon-neutral fuel.
Before assuming his current role, Salah held senior positions at renowned global companies such as Worley, Honeywell-UOP, and ITM Power. In addition to this, Salah also serves as the elected chair of the Industry Working Group at Hydrogen Europe.
What further incentives - both financial and regulatory - are needed to prod consumers to transition towards H2-powered mobility options?
Are consumers ready for a green premium?
L’ère de l’hydrogène commence. L’élément le plus abondant de l’univers compte désormais parmi les vecteurs énergétiques les plus prometteurs pour une planète plus propre et plus durable. De vastes pans de l’activité humaine, de la production d’acier à la construction automobile en passant par le chauffage urbain et le stockage de l’énergie, sont en voie d’être décarbonisés grâce à l’utilisation croissante de l’hydrogène dans le monde.
Mais c’est sur le marché mondial des transports que l’utilisation de l’hydrogène – et plus particulièrement de l’hydrogène renouvelable ou vert – peut avoir le plus d’impact. Les voitures, les trains, les camions, les avions et les navires sont responsables de plus de 25 % de toutes les émissions de gaz à effet de serre dans le monde. Même si l’industrie automobile abandonne les énergies fossiles pour des solutions plus propres, l’aviation et le transport maritime, par exemple, s’engagent à peine dans cette nouvelle mutation. La quasi-totalité du transport maritime utilise encore du diesel et des combustibles de soute qui polluent l’air et endommagent l’environnement marin.
Telle est la mission du Monaco Hydrogen Alliance : contribuer à développer et accélérer l’adoption de l’hydrogène renouvelable tout au long de la chaîne de valeur de la mobilité. Cette mission est d’une importance capitale si nos sociétés et nos économies veulent vraiment atteindre les objectifs ambitieux de réduction des émissions de CO2 fixés par l’accord de Paris sur le climat. Grâce à une action concertée et un dialogue entre les principaux acteurs de la mobilité et des transports – tant publics que privés – l’Alliance vise à faire progresser et généraliser l’utilisation de l’hydrogène vert et de ses dérivés dans les transports.
La Principauté de Monaco et son chef d’État visionnaire, Son Altesse Sérénissime le Prince Albert II, ont toujours été leaders dans la lutte pour le développement durable de la planète et la préservation des océans. L’engagement du Prince souverain qui place la Principauté au cœur de nombreux projets internationaux en faveur du développement durable, combiné à la position de Monaco au cœur de l’Europe et au centre de la Méditerranée, font de la Principauté l’hôte et le partenaire idéal pour le Monaco Hydrogen Alliance et le Monaco Hydrogen Forum.
Président, Monaco Hydrogen Alliance
The Age of Hydrogen is upon us. The most abundant element in the universe now holds out the tantalizing promise of being one of the most important keys to a cleaner and more sustainable planet. Vast swaths of human activity, from steel production and car-making to district heating and energy storage, will be decarbonized in the future by the increasing use of hydrogen around the world.
But it is in the global transportation sector where the use of hydrogen — and specifically renewable or green hydrogen — can have the most impact and the greatest promise. Cars, trains, trucks, planes, and ships account for well over 25% of all greenhouse emissions in the world. True, the global automotive industry is now finally shifting away from fossil fuels – but aviation and shipping, for example, have hardly started to move. Almost all maritime transportation still uses diesel and bunker fuel which pollute the air and damage the marine environment.
This is the mission of the Monaco Hydrogen Alliance: to help scale and accelerate the adoption of renewable hydrogen throughout the value-chain of mobility. This is critically important if our societies and economies are truly serious about reaching the robust targets of CO2 reduction set by the Paris Climate Agreement. Through common action and dialogue among leading stakeholders in mobility and transportation — both public and private — the Alliance aims to advance the adoption of green hydrogen and green hydrogen derivatives in transportation.
The Principality of Monaco and its visionary head of state, His Serene Highness Prince Albert II, have Iong been leaders in the fight for a more sustainable planet and strengthening the health and biodiversity of global oceans. This strong commitment, combined with Monaco’s position in the heart of Europe and in the center of the Mediterranean, makes the Principality the idea host and partner for the Monaco Hydrogen Alliance and the Monaco Hydrogen Forum.
President, Monaco Hydrogen Alliance
MONACO PRIZE FOR INNOVATION IN RENEWABLE HYDROGEN AND TRANSPORTATION
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. The Monaco Prize for Innovation in Renewable Hydrogen and Mobility is open worldwide for contestants developing an innovative business, technology, policy or investment solution to advance renewable hydrogen in the maritime mobility value chain.
Initial Applications Begin 10:00 a.m. Monaco Time on May 2nd, 2022. Visit monacoh2/prize for free entry details; Sponsor: Monaco Hydrogen Alliance 7 rue du Gabian 98000 MONACO
No purchase necessary. This is a solutions-based competition among contestants developing an innovative business, technology, policy or investment solution to advance renewable hydrogen in the maritime mobility value chain.
1. Eligibility. Except as provided below, the Monaco Prize for Innovation in Renewable Hydrogen and Mobility (the “Contest”) is open worldwide to contestants who are developing or owning innovative solutions to advance renewable hydrogen in the mobility sectors (land, maritime and air). The Contest is sponsored by the Monaco Hydrogen Alliance in close cooperation with ENOWA.NEOM (“Sponsor”)
i. Current employees, shareholders, officers, and representatives of Sponsor are not eligible to participate in the Contest. The above notwithstanding, former employees, clients and other affiliates (members and partners) of the Sponsor may participate in the Contest.
ii. All Eligible Contestants who are under the legal age of majority in their country, state or province of their primary residence (“Minor”) must get their parent or legal guardian’s written permission to participate in the Contest. The Contest permits Contestants to enter an innovation-focused competition, available through the website monacoh2.org (the “Site”), for a chance at winning a single Prize consisting in the participation in the 2023 Monaco Hydrogen Alliance and its Gala Dinner (Approximate Retail Value “ARV” of Eur. 2,500) and participation in the Monaco Hydrogen Alliance's membership network for a year ("ARV" of Eur. 7,500).
2. Contest Period. The Contest applications shall begin on July 4th at 10:00am Monaco Time and shall end on October 30th at 11:59pm Monaco Time (the “Contest Period”). Finalists will be announced in November 2023; the winner will be announced on the occasion of the Monaco Hydrogen Forum in November 2023.
3. How to Enter. To enter the Contest you must submit an application with all of the required information, a copy of which is available at monacoh2.com/prize, by the end of the Contest Period (“Entry”). All Entries must be submitted using website entry. All eligible Entries will be evaluated in three stages as provided in the next section titled “Winning”.
i. Contestants may only submit an Entry for a Project that they are in charge of or leading.
ii. The Project must consist in an innovative technological, business, financial or policy solution to advance renewable hydrogen in the maritime mobility value chain.
iii. The Project should be currently running and/or completed between January 2023 and January 2024.
iv. The Entry must clearly articulate how the Project is innovative and which challenges it addresses.
v. The Project can have local, regional, and/or global scope and impact, and should demonstrate significant potential to be scaled up and extended.
vi. Contestants may be asked for references through which the Sponsor can confirm that they, the Contestants, are in in fact in charge of the Project.
vii. Entries must be received during the Contest Period. The Sponsor’s computer shall be the official clock for all purposes of this Contest. Any attempt to submit an Entry other than as described herein is void.
viii. The Sponsor shall not cover or reimburse any costs associated with participating in the Contest. On an exceptional basis, and at the discretion of the Sponsor, the Sponsor can cover accommodation costs for top 5 finalists linked to participation in the Monaco Hydrogen Forum and its Gala Dinner.
4. Winning. Using a selection rubric, the Sponsor, together with partners, members and the Strategic Partner - all selected at the discretion of the Sponsor - will shortlist the qualified applications to a pool of (1st round) 20 quarter-finalists to share with a distinguished international Selection Jury.
Quarter- Finalists will be requested to submit a video answering a few questions about their Projects. This video along with the finalists’ original Entries will be shared with a distinguished international Jury. The Jury will evaluate all Entries using the same rubric and will provide inputs, making its top 10 recommendations. The 10 semi-finalists will present their solution during live video conference calls with members of the Jury. The Jury will evaluate all interviews using the same rubric and will provide inputs, making its top 5 recommendations. The 5 finalists will receive an invitation to attend the Monaco Hydrogen Forum. They will be interviewed in person. The winner will be announced during the Closing session of the Monaco Hydrogen Forum. Special distinctions may be awarded to other solutions.
Projects will be evaluated using a rubric based on the following considerations:
In the event of a tie, the Sponsor will score the tied Entries based on a review by the expert selection jury. In the event of a dispute as to an Entry, Sponsor’s determination shall be final. All decisions of the Sponsor are final and not subject to review or appeal. The Winner will be announced at the 2023 Monaco Hydrogen Forum.
5. Notifications. The Quarter Finalists, Semi Finalists and Finalists will be notified within 10 calendar days after being chosen. The Winner will be informed during the Monaco Hydrogen Forum. The Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify anyone who does not fully comply with these Official Rules or meets the participation criteria. The Winner may be required to execute an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release, and (where legal) a Publicity Release. Alternatively, if the Prize goes unclaimed or is forfeited by the Winner, the Sponsor in its sole discretion may choose not to re-award the Prize. Winner may not assign or transfer the Prize to another person. No Prize substitution or cash alternative is allowed except at the sole discretion of Sponsor, who reserve the right to substitute a prize (or any portion thereof) in its sole discretion. If the Prize cannot be awarded due to circumstances beyond the control of Sponsor, a substitute prize of equal may be awarded. Other restrictions may apply.
6. Rights of Sponsor. Sponsor, shall have the right, at its sole and absolute discretion to refuse any Entry which it finds to be in violation of these Official Rules, does not fully comply with all of Sponsor’ and/or these Official Rules’ requirements in connection with any and all clearance issues, or which it finds in its sole discretion to be otherwise objectionable for any reason. Sponsor also reserve the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to terminate the Contest for any reason in the event that there is an error, problem or cause that impacts the operation, administration or security of the Contest. If the Contest is terminated by Sponsor as provided above, Sponsor may refrain from selecting a Winner or in the alternate may select a Winner from all eligible Contestants received prior to the action taken or in such manner as deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Should the Quarter Finalists, Semi Finalists and Finalists - or the company/Organisation they belong to - would be subject to criminal proceedings (or to any other proceedings that may affect the reputation of the Sponsor), the Sponsor at its sole and absolute discretion may decide to suspend their application and participation in the Contest.
7. General Terms And Conditions. By participating, each Contestant agrees that the Sponsor and the Contest Entities are not responsible or liable for, and shall be released and held harmless from: (i) late, lost, delayed, damaged, incomplete, illegible, unintelligible, misdirected or otherwise undeliverable mail, email, SMS/MMS, postage-due notices, release forms, affidavits or other correspondence; (ii) telephone, electronic, hardware or software program, network, Internet or computer malfunctions, failures, or difficulties of any kind; (iii) any condition caused by events beyond the control of the Sponsor that may cause the Contest to be disrupted or corrupted; (iv) any printing, human, typographical or other errors or ambiguities in (or involving) any materials associated with the Contest; (v) any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and action of any kind in connection with or resulting from participation in the Contest; (vi) acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any Prize, including, without limitation, personal injury, death and property damage arising there from; and (vii) claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy.
8. Privacy. Monaco Hydrogen Alliance collects and uses your personal information to operate the Prize site and deliver the services you have requested. Monaco Hydrogen Alliance also uses your personally identifiable information to inform you of other products or services available from Monaco Hydrogen Alliance and its affiliates, such as personalized advertising communications including information on upcoming events. Monaco Hydrogen Alliance may also contact you via surveys to conduct research about your opinion of current services or of potential new services that may be offered. Monaco Hydrogen Alliance does not sell, rent or lease its customer lists to third parties. Monaco Hydrogen Alliance may, from time to time, contact you on behalf of external business partners about a particular offering that may be of interest to you. Contestants can contact the Sponsor to find out more or to ask any questions they may have about the use of their personal data by emailing email@example.com. Contestant can stop receiving emails or communication from the Sponsor using an unsubscribe link option found on our website or contacting firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: unsubscribe.
Building a sustainable and greener future together.
Let’s welcome fresh thinking about Hydrogen and Mobility.
Wishing you all a very Happy New Year 2023!